Connect with us

Big Arn Web

Big Arn Web

Mike Pompeo Saudi Arabia oil attacks: UN ‘unable to validate Iranian participation’


Mike Pompeo

Mike Pompeo Saudi Arabia oil attacks: UN ‘unable to validate Iranian participation’

Image copyright Reuters Image caption The attacks temporarily knocked out half of Saudi Arabia’s crude oil production The UN has reportedly so far been unable to confirm Iran was involved in drone and cruise missile attacks on two key Saudi oil facilities in September.Saudi Arabia said Iran was behind the attacks, which temporarily knocked out…

Mike Pompeo Saudi Arabia oil attacks: UN ‘unable to validate Iranian participation’

Mike Pompeo

Mike Pompeo File photo showing workers inspecting damage at the Abqaiq oil facility in Saudi Arabia (20 September 2019) Image copyright
Reuters

Image caption

The attacks temporarily knocked out half of Saudi Arabia’s petroleum production.

The UN has apparently up until now been not able to verify Iran was involved in drone and cruise rocket attacks on two key Saudi oil facilities in September.

Saudi Arabia stated Iran lagged the attacks, which momentarily knocked out half of the kingdom’s crude production.

But a leaked report by the UN’s secretary general states investigators could not prove that the drones and missiles were of Iranian origin.

Iran rejected any function and noted a claim of obligation from rebels in Yemen.

The Houthi motion, which is aligned to Iran, said it retaliated for air campaign on Yemen by a Saudi-led union support government forces in the civil war.

Mike Pompeo What does the UN report state?

UN specialists keeping an eye on Security Council sanctions on Iran and Yemen took a trip to Saudi Arabia to examine the debris of the drones and rockets.

On Tuesday, Secretary General António Guterres provided a report to the Security Council that summed up the specialists’ initial findings.

Media playback is unsupported on your gadget

Media caption Saudi crown prince: Oil attack “hit the heart of the worldwide energy industry”

” At this time, [the UN] is unable to separately prove that the cruise missiles and unmanned aerial cars used in these attacks are of Iranian origin,” Mr Guterres composed in the report, seen by Reuters and AFP news firms.

But the report likewise noted that the Houthis “have not revealed to be in belongings, nor been examined to be in ownership” of the drones used in the attacks.

Mr Guterres said the UN examination into the attack was continuing which its outcomes would be sent to the Security Council when finished.

Mike Pompeo What occurred in the attacks?

The Saudi defence ministry stated 18 drones struck the Abqaiq oil processing center – the world’s biggest – and 4 cruise rockets struck the Khurais oil field on 14 September. Another three missiles were fired towards Abqaiq however failed.

Media playback is unsupported on your gadget

Media caption Frank Gardner has an appearance at the damage, in a location normally closed off from reporters.

At Abqaiq, which is 330 km (205 miles) north-east of Riyadh, the drones harmed 11 spheroid separation tanks utilized to separate gas from petroleum and stabilise it for export. 5 stabilisation towers used to get rid of hydrogen sulphide from unrefined oil and 2 tanks that hold water eliminated from petroleum were also struck.

At Khurais, 190 km to the south-west, 4 stabilisation towers were harmed.

The attack closed down 5.7 million barrels daily of unrefined oil production, which is about 6%of total global supply, and caused a spike in oil costs.

Mike Pompeo Who was blamed?

Houthi military representative Yahyia Sari stated on 15 September that its forces had actually introduced 10 drones from Yemen after receiving “intelligence” support from individuals inside Saudi Arabia.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media caption Saudi Arabia states the direction of the strikes revealed the rockets could not have actually come from Yemen

However Saudi defence ministry spokesman Col Turki al-Malki told press reporters in Riyadh 3 days later: “This attack did not originate from Yemen. Regardless of Iran’s best efforts to make it appear so, their collaboration with their proxy in the area to develop this false story is clear.”

” The attack was launched from the north and was certainly sponsored by Iran.”

Real Life. Real News. Real Voices

Help us tell more of the stories that matter

Become a founding member

Col Malki determined the weapons utilized as Iranian Delta Wing unmanned aerial automobiles (UAVs) and Iranian-made Ya Ali land-attack rockets. He said such missiles had an optimal variety of 700 km (435 miles) – something that would omit Yemen as the launch area.

United States Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said: “This was a sophisticated attack. These weapons systems had ranges that could not have actually come from the Houthis. It is crazy for anyone to assert that they did.”

But the Iranian federal government dismissed the allegation.

” There’s no proof and it would be a miracle to produce proof since it did not happen,” Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif stated on 23 September. “Had we had been behind this, it would have been devastating for Saudi Arabia.”

The Houthis have actually consistently introduced rockets, missiles and drones towards Saudi Arabia given that2015 UN specialists have actually previously highlighted the presence of a Houthi drone, the UAV-X, which has actually an estimated maximum variety of 1,500 km.

Subscribe to the newsletter news

We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

two × one =

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

To Top
Skip to content