Connect with us

Big Arn Web

Big Arn Web

Mike Pence Iran crisis: United States ‘all set for major settlements’ with Tehran


Mike Pence

Mike Pence Iran crisis: United States ‘all set for major settlements’ with Tehran

Media playback is unsupported on your device Media captionIs 2020’s Iran crisis already over?The US says it is “ready to engage without preconditions in serious negotiations” with Iran following the countries’ exchange of hostilities.In a letter to the UN, the US justified the killing of Iranian General Qasem Soleimani as an act of self-defence.Iran retaliated…

Mike Pence Iran crisis: United States ‘all set for major settlements’ with Tehran

Mike Pence

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media caption Is 2020’s Iran crisis currently over?

The US says it is “ready to engage without prerequisites in serious negotiations” with Iran following the countries’ exchange of hostilities.

In a letter to the UN, the United States validated the killing of Iranian General Qasem Soleimani as an act of self-defence.

Iran retaliated by shooting missiles at airbases real estate United States forces in Iraq, causing no casualties. It also informed the UN it was an act of self-defence.

Gen Soleimani was widely considered as Iran’s second most powerful guy.

As head of the Revolutionary Guards’ elite Quds Force, he was an architect of Iranian policy in the Middle East.

Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei described the missile attacks as a “slap in the face” for the US, and required an end to the American presence in the region.

On Thursday the Revolutionary Guards’ aerospace commander, Amir Ali Hajizadeh, said the missile strikes were the start of an operation that would continue.

They had actually not been planned eliminate United States soldiers, state TELEVISION quoted him as stating, however instead were intended at damaging US military operations.

Tehran had “utilized cyber-attacks to disable US aircraft and drone navigation systems” during the missile strikes, he said.

Mike Pence What do the letters say?

In a letter to the UN Security Council, US ambassador to the UN Kelly Craft stated the US was ready to negotiate “with the goal of avoiding more endangerment of international peace and security or escalation by the Iranian routine”.

The killing of Soleimani was justified, the letter argued, under Article 51 of the UN Charter, which requires states to “immediately report” to the Security Council any steps taken in working out the right of self-defence.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media caption” Iran appears to be standing down” – Trump delivers a statement at the White Home

The US would take extra action “as essential” in the Middle East to protect its workers and interests, the letter added.

But Iran’s UN ambassador Majid Takht Ravanchi said the United States offer of talks was “amazing” while the United States continued to implement extreme economic sanctions against Iran.

United States President Donald Trump has actually previously used to hold talks with Iran without preconditions – and to satisfy President Hassan Rouhani. In September, Ayatollah Khamenei stated Iran would never take part in bilateral talks, saying it became part of America’s policy “to put pressure on Iran”.

Ayatollah Khamenei said that if the US rejoined a landmark nuclear deal it withdrew from in 2018, it might take part in multilateral talks with Iran and the other celebrations to the deal.

Image copyright
Getty Images

Image caption

Qasem Soleimani was thought about the 2nd most powerful guy in Iran prior to his death.

Iran also pointed out Short article 51 as reason for its attack on United States bases.

In the Iranian letter, Mr Ravanchi composed that Tehran “does not seek escalation or war” after exercising its right to self-defence by taking a “determined and proportional military reaction targeting an American airbase in Iraq”.

Mike Pence What did Trump state about the Iranian strikes?

Mr Trump has formerly threatened military action against Iran if it were to target US workers and bases, however the United States president did not reveal any military action, saying Iran’s attack had actually caused no casualties.

” No Americans were damaged in last night’s attack by the Iranian program,” he stated.

” Iran seems standing down, which is a great thing for all parties worried,” he included.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media caption” I believe we are much safer today” – United States Vice-President Mike Pence

The US Legislature is anticipated to vote on Thursday on a resolution to force Mr Trump to stop additional military action against Iran unless Congress offers it the all-clear.

” Members of Congress have serious, urgent issues about the administration’s choice to participate in hostilities versus Iran and about its lack of method progressing,” Nancy Pelosi, Speaker of your house, said in a declaration.

Mike Pence What took place in the rocket attacks?

It was the most direct assault by Iran on the United States considering that the seizing of the United States embassy in Tehran in 1979.

An overall of 16 rockets were introduced from at least 3 websites in Iran at about 02: 00 regional time on Wednesday (22: 30 GMT on Tuesday), Defence Secretary Mark Esper said.

Real Life. Real News. Real Voices

Help us tell more of the stories that matter

Become a founding member

At least 11 of them struck the air base in Al Asad, west of Baghdad, and a minimum of one more struck the Irbil base, he said. A number of other missiles landed at some range from the targets.

United States Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Mark Milley stated he thought early caution systems had actually avoided casualties.

“[What] I think, based upon what I saw and what I know, is that they were planned to cause structural damage, ruin cars and devices and aircraft, and to kill personnel,” he stated.

Mike Pence How did we get here?

Stress between Tehran and Washington started rising in 2018 after President Trump pulled the United States out of a landmark nuclear deal between Iran and world powers. The accord was meant to suppress Iran’s nuclear programme and avoid it from acquiring nuclear weapons.

Mr Trump desired a brand-new deal that would likewise suppress Iran’s ballistic rocket program and its involvement in regional disputes.

The United States also re-imposed sanctions on Iran, sending its economy into freefall.

Soleimani’s assassination on 3 January followed a sharp escalation in between the United States, Iran and Iran-backed groups in Iraq sparked by the death of a United States military specialist in a rocket attack on an US base – for which the United States held Iran responsible.

The US responded with air strikes versus the Iran-backed militia Kataib Hezbollah. Militia supporters then assaulted the US embassy in Baghdad.

Soleimani was considered as a terrorist by the US federal government, which states he was accountable for the deaths of hundreds of American soldiers and was plotting “imminent” attacks. The US has actually not offered evidence of this.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media caption Feeling the squeeze: Iran sanctions explained

Iran vowed “serious revenge” for his death. Millions of Iranians ended up for the leader’s funeral service, with mourners shouting “death to America” and “death to Trump”.

A stampede at the funeral service in Soleimani’s home town, Kerman, eliminated 50 individuals and hurt 200 more on Tuesday.

The US strike on Soleimani also killed members of Iran-backed Iraqi militias, who have actually also sworn revenge.

However, United States Vice-President Mike Pence informed CBS News that “intelligence” suggested that Iran had actually asked its allied militias not to attack United States targets.

Subscribe to the newsletter news

We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

eight − one =

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

To Top
Skip to content