President Donald Trump’s travel ban on 26 European countries has entered into force in the US, as part of a contingency strategy to take on the coronavirus crisis.
The restriction uses to non-Americans who have been in the Schengen border-free travel location within 14 days of taking a trip to the United States.
People travelling from the UK and the Republic of Ireland are exempt, as are returning US residents.
There are almost 2,000 confirmed cases of Covid-19 in the United States, and 43 deaths.
Mr Trump also declared a national emergency situation, freeing up to $50 bn (₤40 bn) in relief funds.
Mr Trump’s administration has actually faced criticism for its failure to provide Americans with widespread coronavirus screening.
In other developments on Saturday:
- In New Zealand, PM Jacinda Ardern stated anybody entering the country from midnight on Sunday should self-isolate for 14 days; individuals from small South Pacific islands would be exempt
- In Australia, the number of verified cases rose to 200, with three deaths
- In China, health authorities stated there were 13 deaths and 11 brand-new cases
- South Korea reported more healings (204) than brand-new infections – the second day in a row
- Colombia said it would close its border with Venezuela at 05: 00 (10: 00 GMT) and bar any visitors who had actually recently been in Europe or Asia
- In the UK, mass gatherings might be banned as early as next weekend, government sources said
Separately, Washington on Friday summoned the Chinese ambassador to protest at comments by a Chinese diplomat that the US military may have brought the infection to China.
The coronavirus originated in China’s Hubei province late last year.
But the everyday rates of brand-new infections have been slowing in China, making Europe the brand-new “epicentre” of the pandemic
Italy on Friday tape-recorded its highest day-to-day death toll – 250 over 24 hours, taking the overall to 1,266, with 17,660 infections in general.
To much better co-ordinate the international response to the pandemic, leaders of the world’s richest economies – the G7 group – will hold a crisis top by means of videoconference on Monday.
Donald Trump Which European countries are impacted by the US travel ban?
In all, travel is suspended for 30 days from 26 Schengen nations – 22 European Union members and four non-EU.
They are Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
Mr Trump stated the UK’s exemption had been made on the advice of “a group of experts” however could be evaluated since the variety of cases had actually “increased relatively precipitously over the last 24 hours”.
The United States travel restriction was consulted with anger and confusion, with EU leaders implicating President Trump of deciding “without consultation”.
Donald Trump What else did Mr Trump announce?
Announcing the state of emergency situation, Mr Trump worried that the “next 8 weeks are crucial”.
Amongst the procedures envisaged as part of the emergency action are:
- The United States Health Secretary Alex Azar and health officials can waive specific laws and licence requirements, providing more flexibility to healthcare suppliers
- Medical facilities have been asked to activate their emergency readiness plans
- As Much As 500,000 extra coronavirus tests will be offered by early next week, though authorities are not advising tests without clear requirement; personal laboratories and vaccine developers will be able to supply five million coronavirus tests within the month, though authorities are not advising tests for those without symptoms
- Interest on all student loans is to be waived until more notification as a step to relieve the concern for students as universities and colleges across the nation shut their doors
Democrats in Congress – and heavily-affected states – had been advising Mr Trump to provide the emergency situation order, which will likewise enable more people to qualify for federal government health insurance coverage.
Also on Friday, US Legislature Speaker Nancy Pelosi revealed she had reached a handle the White House on a bundle to assist individuals affected by the break out.
It includes two weeks of paid sick leave and as much as 3 months of paid household and medical leave, complimentary virus screening for those without insurance and food help.
Late on Friday a relief expense, agreed with bipartisan assistance, was passed overwhelmingly in your home of Representatives.
Donald Trump Does Trump require a virus test?
Prompted once again to describe why he hasn’t taken a coronavirus test following reports that he has actually been in the business of people who have actually tested positive recently, Mr Trump stated he had no symptoms and there was no requirement for a test.
But he included that he was likely to have one “relatively quickly”, anyhow.
In Canada, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau started a 14- day self-isolation duration on Friday after his partner evaluated positive.
Brazil’s President Jair Bolsanaro has actually evaluated unfavorable, despite among his top aides falling sick recently. Both males had just recently met United States officials consisting of President Trump and Vice-President Mike Pence.
The Brazilian Charge d’Affairs in Washington, Nestor Forster Jr, who was likewise present at the dinner with Trump, has actually checked positive, GloboNews TV reported.
Donald Trump What is a national emergency situation?
The 1988 Stafford Act offers the president alone the ability to direct the Federal Emergency Management Company (Fema) to co-ordinate a nationwide reaction to “natural catastrophes” within the United States.
Real Life. Real News. Real Voices
Help us tell more of the stories that matterBecome a founding member
Donald Trump said “national emergency situation” were 2 huge words, however the statement sounds more dramatic than it is, says the BBC’s Anthony Zurcher.
There are currently more than 30 nationwide emergency situations in result. Mr Trump has declared numerous nationwide emergency situations in his presidency, including one in 2015 to redirect military funds to develop a southern border wall to avoid prohibited immigration.
He has actually also released the order to deal with wildfires in California and flooding in the Midwest.
It marks the first use of the order to fight a pandemic because President Barack Obama issued one to eliminate the swine flu virus.
President Costs Clinton provided a national emergency to spend for efforts to stop the spread of West Nile infection in the US north-east.
Are you in the US? Have you tried to get evaluated? Or self-isolated? Share your experiences by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Please consist of a contact number if you want to speak to a BBC reporter. You can likewise call us in the following ways:
Subscribe to the newsletter news
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe